Thursday, December 7, 2006

Hypothetical

Hello?

Hey, how are you?

Fine. um… who is this?

It’s me. How have you been?

….

Are you there?

Yeah, I am.

Look, I understand if you don’t want to talk.

No, don’t hang up! Yes. I want to talk.

Are you sure?

No, I really want to talk. How are you?

Good.

To be completely honest with you I never thought I’d speak to you again.

….

I don’t know what to say… well, I do, I’ve rehearsed this moment hundreds of times and now it’s happening… and I don’t know what to even say.

You don’t have to say anything, just speak.

I miss you.

Can I ask you a question?

Yes, anything.

Do you think things could ever be the same between us… the way they were?

I like to think that in a perfect world they could…

And I know you ardently believe this world is extremely flawed and imperfect.



Why aren’t you saying anything?

Well, I uh….

I know you’re still using.



Say something.

I… I can’t tell you what it is you need to hear.

So there it is. My undoing is your undoing is our undoing.

No, It’s not that easy.

I know, believe me I know honey. But it’s all written out in black and white and I…

What?

It’s just I wish I would have called you tonight and you would have told me something different.

No comments: